Monday, October 22, 2012

Second draft - done

Last week I traveled to Saskatoon, my home town, to oversee the contents sale of our family home.  It's a huge house my parents had designed and built when they finally made it in their adopted country and city forty years ago.  Not having cable and only 3g internet on my phone, and none of my other family members around, I had little else to do in the evening but write.  I felt like Jack Nicholson in The Shining.

So I finished the second draft of my play Entitlement in my old bedroom that I slept and studied in during my high school years.  Talk about coming full circle, (especially as the play is about a teacher confronted by an angry college student and about writing.)

Most of my first draft remained intact, but with the help of notes from a few trusted allies, I added a lot of material around the first draft to make the second draft.  My first pass ran 68 pages, while the second capped out at 91.

At least it's now in full length territory, rather than a terrific, but unsellable one-act, as my agent dubbed it.

No comments: