Saturday, September 15, 2012

Tiff day 7

Neil Jordan was one of my teachers at the Canadian Film Centre and owes me nothing after The Crying Game. His new vampire movie Byzantium from someone else's script reminds me why I wish he was still writing his own screenplays. Basically a female version of Interview With A Vampire. Kind of getting tired of vampires though even if they are as sexy as Gemma Arterton.

Maybe it's because I've been to Japan 3 times since 2006 and probably met someone affected by the earthquake and tsunami, but Land of Hope made me weep. The story was about an elderly dairy farmer stuck on the wrong side of the wind after the nuclear plant exploded. Shot in the real and still devastated coastal towns. No attempt to CG an earthquake. Just the truth through story and gigantic performances. Political and poetic. Faced with life there is only love. Damn, crying again.

No comments: