Thursday, June 14, 2012

Soldier On celebrity golf tournament

I just returned from CFB Trenton where Roundel Glen Golf Course hosts the annual celebrity golf tournament to raise funds for Soldier On, a charity that assists physically and mentally wounded soldiers.

From left to right: John Casey, tournament organizer, Warren Kennedy from Roundel Glen Golf Course, Louse Sandercock of Seasons Dufferin Centre, the tournament's core sponsor, myself, Melanie Flynn of Habitat for Humanity and Dave Devall


It's the fourth year for me.  I was first invited to attend as a member of the cast of CBC TV's "Little Mosque on the Prairie" and since then, I consider it an honour to return to help such a great cause.

This year, a lower turnout due to weather meant that I and weatherman emeritus Dave Devall were the only celebrities who could make it.  (And I don't consider myself a celebrity, but I'm flattered tournament organizer John Casey considers me to be one!)  So instead of sticking with a foursome for the entire round, I decided to linger on the back nine and play with foursomes as they went through in the best ball tourney.  I got to meet some of the great golfers who were contributing to the cause and enjoying a respite of golf between a torrential downpour in the morning which resumed right after the last golfer finished.  Dave Devall obviously was able to work some magic with the weather to keep everyone dry for to play the round.  (A shot gun start meant that each foursome began from a different hole so the entire tournament was completed in the five hours.)

The people who support the tournament are great and it's a real pleasure to meet them and hack my way down the course for a great cause.

Hope I get to do it again next year.

No comments: