Thursday, January 21, 2010

Farewell Paul


Most people will know writer, songwriter, screenwriter, and musician Paul Quarrington through his exceptional novels. I knew him as a fellow screenwriter--far more active and successful than me--but while I could never write a novel like he could I hoped I could be as good a screenwriter.

I'd read his novels but I first read his screenwriting work when I was on the WGC Council. We had to choose the winners of the Canadian Screenwriting Awards, or the WGC Top Ten as they were called then and I ended up championing a script Paul had written for a Canadian TV series. I also got to present his award at the ceremony held in Toronto which was a great pleasure.

He told me about acting in a TV show once and realizing that it was a great job for a writer. All the waiting around in your little trailer gave you time to write on someone else's dime.

Until a few years ago, I saw him often when we worked out at the Metro Central YMCA Men's Health Club in Toronto. I'd kid him at industry events when someone was in earshot about seeing him naked.

The last time I saw Paul was at the wrap party of the Reel Canada film series for high schools a couple of years ago. He'd just wrapped the TV series Moose TV which he scripted, he'd met a nice lady on the shoot and was enjoying being in his prime as a writer. I'm glad that's my last memory of him.

He left us today and I will miss him.

No comments: