Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Jimmy Smits once handed me the salad tongs

My friend Nelson wants me to be the Perez Hilton of Canada, or perhaps Toronto--at least for my postal code, so for his benefit, I will occasionally post some of my encounters with the famous and nearly so.

Jimmy Smits and the salad tongs happened when I was acting in a movie called Bless the Child, starring Kim Basinger. In fact, I worked on the movie for 3 months. I had one scene with Kim. I played her concussion doctor, (though what I didn't know is that she'd been attacked by demons.) But every time they scheduled me to work, they never got around to using me--a classic example of being paid to read--so I actually did 3 days on the movie--over 3 months. On the day that I actually did get to act with Kim, I walked through the lunch line with Jimmy Smits--Kim had her lunch brought to her in her trailer--and I handed him the salad tongs. Or he may have handed me the salad tongs. In case you've actually seen the movie and wonder where I am, well, I ended up on the cutting room floor. Maybe it's just as well as the movie is considered a barker. Lovely director, though, a guy named Chuck Russell who did The Mask with Jim Carrey.

BTW, the next week, I was at the same location playing yet another doctor, this time in a movie starring the late John Ritter. When I mentioned I'd been there a week before with Kim Basinger, he asked what I'd done. I told him about being her concussion doctor, not knowing she'd been attacked by demons and without missing a beat he said, "Must have been those Baldwin boys."

No comments: